Sunday, February 22, 2009

Baby Quilt

My best friend is having baby #2. I could say I was jealous but I love them all too much to be jealous. I can't wait to meet this little boy because baby #1 is such a character his little brother would have to be. For baby #1 I really didn't know how to make quilts yet so I just made a ton of those little tiny pillows that I made for the biscuit pillows and made one large blanket out of them. I thought it was so cute and they loved it. Was made in purples because I started it before I knew what the baby would be. Here it is.


So for Baby #2 I thought since I have a little more knowledge on quilts I would try it out. here are some pictures of me making it along the way. First off here is the fabrics I chose and let me explain why. I am not really a sucker for your traditional baby colors. I mean why does everything have to be "baby blue" or "baby pink"? Also I think a quilt should not only reflect the person you are giving it to in mind but it should also have a little personality from the one making it as well. I love stars, moons and sky themes. Anything celestial I guess you would call it. And the colors and theses of these three fabrics just jumped out at me so much that I had to get them. I just love the way orange and blue looks together. Also since this quilt won't be your traditional baby style quilt that means that little Baby #2 will be able to carry it around like Linus for years to come. How special is that.
Here are the fabrics I chose. I figured the swirls in the light blue and the orange would tie together and then since both colors are in with the dark blue it would work out great. Then the light blue also has stars on it.


So then here are some shots of the progress so far.

Don't you just "love" Chain Piecing!!
These little triangles took a while but they were allot of fun to see coming together


More Chain Piecing woohooo!!

Getting closer and closer!! Now we have a cute little square!!

Now add some sashing and corner stones. Lining those up just right took a little time and patience but it was worth it.

So I spent all day today adding borders and more cornerstones. Viola!!

Now I have to pick the backing which I think I am going to go with the darker blue but I will have to run and get more. I didn't know how large this BABY quilt was going to be, I guess I didn't look at the directions well when it gave the finished measurements. Then I need to get batting and get it quilted. After that comes my most "un"favorite part the binding. Gotta all be done by May!! Will post more as I get them finished.
Well that's it for today kids. Come back tomorrow and I will show you something new. :-) Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment

Background

Total Pageviews